Our dogs are part of our families. They are like children that require attention and care. In return, they give us unconditional love and joy. Dogs need to integrate into our home activities, and we also need to remember them in planning our projects, too.
I remember a heart-breaking event that happened to my friend’s dog, Barkie. My friend’s family used DIY mouse poison to control mice infestation in their place. Unfortunately, they failed to consider their pet. Sadly, Barkie ate the poisoned bait and died. We were all devastated by what happened.
This unfortunate event taught everyone a lesson the hard way. Pesticides do not only affect the target pest, but it could also have a negative effect on other animals when they come into contact with it. As such, you should practice extra care when you decide to remove the pest.
Moving forward, our families have become cautious with pest control. We don’t even own a can of insect spray. We usually just call Pest Control San Jose CA exterminators when we see incessant pests around the house. They are very professional, and they adhere to strict safety measures, especially we have kids and pets around our house all the time.
Here are other safety precautions to remember when you have pets, and you need to do pest control at home.
- Ensure that you secure your pets away from the pest control site. You need to put them in their kennel or in a room to prevent them from wandering around and accidentally gaining access to the pest control area.
- Put your pet’s toys, chew things, food bowls and beddings away from the pest control area. If you have any doubts of contamination, wash them before giving them back to your pets.
- Be wary of pesticides baits. Avoid using it because it could be lethal to your pets. But if it is necessary, enclose the pest bait in a secure container where only the target pest can access.
- Another danger of setting pesticide bait is secondary poisoning. The secondary poisoning happens when your pet eats a poisoned prey. Discuss with your pest control to know alternatives.
- Treated lawn areas should be off-limits to your pets for at least 24 hours. This will allow enough time for the treatment to be completely absorbed by the lawn.
- If you have pet fishes, you should cover their tanks and consider moving them away from the pest control site. You should also turn off their water pumps to prevent absorption of pest control chemicals.
- Do not let your pets wander right after a pest control activity. Give enough allowance for the pest control materials to subside to ensure that no residue can harm your pet. It will help to ventilate the place.
Hiring a pest control company will make pesticide application in your homes safe and convenient.