So you found a few ticks on your dog, and more in the surrounding area? Don’t waste time on figuring out how it happened and where they came from if you want your dog to get better and much more survive this situation you should act immediately. I was in the same situation just a year ago and decided to consult my local exterminators in Columbus OH, what I’ve learned was a shocking – my dog CAN die from this if I do not get them treated as soon as possible. First thing’s first, find an exterminator and arrange for your house to get treated, as it can also be a health risk for you and your family. Second, bring your dog to the vet if you can for faster treatment and results, it’s also good for him to be as far from the pests as possible.
Ticks, fleas, and other pests carry diseases and literally sucks out the life of your pets, the moment that you see them, take immediate action by at the very least giving your dog a bath with special shampoo and powder, if symptoms worsen go to the vet. Things you should not do are the following:
• Do Not Use Human Grade Repellents – as even natural repellents like citronella are very harmful to pets, working as a Neurotoxin.
• Do Not Over Treat Them – even if it is meant for pets, you should know that any medicine has a proper dosage that you should not give more than.
• Do Not Play Doctor – Medicine should only be given when prescribed by a licensed vet. You wouldn’t do that to a human member of your family, right? Why should the dog be treated differently?
• It’s not over until the Vet says it’s over – Just because the symptoms and ticks are no longer visible doesn’t mean that the ordeal is over. Get a follow-up checkup after the completion of the treatment.
House Treatment: During and After
Most chemicals used to treat your house for pests are poisonous to pets, it would be best for your dog to live and recover elsewhere during and a little bit after the house treatment. This is to avoid any of the poison being consumed by the dog, though when the exterminator gives the all clear for you to return usually means that it’s all clear for your pets to return as well. Remember that we are larger creatures than our pets, though, so it would take a smaller dose to affect them compared to us.
After treatment, clear the surrounding area of what might look like something your pet would chew on or eat, as it might have some traces of the poison in it. This could harm your dog and might even be fatal.
Prevention Is Better
In the end, the best way to handle this situation is to prevent it from happening in the first place. Keep your dog well groomed and your area clean. The first sign of any pests popping up, use precautionary measures like tick powder and insecticides (away from your pet of course).